Thursday, May 19, 2011

Tomato Basil Soup

Last night I was on my own as Rex was practicing drums for our church's Men's Conference this upcoming weekend. I decided to keep it simple and just make a bowl of soup. My sinuses haven't cleared yet, so having soup this week for lunch has been a given. In fact, Rex loves egg-drop soup which is egg dropped into a Soup Secrets noodle soup with added noodles. Since he stayed home on Monday to get better, he made egg drop soup for me. When he cracked the egg, there were 2 yolks! Little chicken-twins...lol. I had never seen it before but we were quite amused with the phenomena.



In Socal we've been having unusually gloomy and rainy weather in May and so soup has been a good treat. I love all kinds of soup from split pea soup to minestrone. But rainy weather always makes me think of tomato with grilled cheese. I didn't end up making a grilled cheese last night, because Rex made dinner croissants using his new bread machine, so I've been on carbohydrate overload for a couple days now :)

Tomato soup is so easy to make as long as you have the right ingredients on hand. And homemade tomato soup is so much better than anything you can buy out of the can. A lot of homemade soups need to be "mushified" with a little help from the blender.


And with the help of the blender the soup is finished. The final product, tomato basil soup!




INGREDIENTS (2 servings)

1 can whole, peeled tomatoes
1 equal "can-ful" of milk
1 tbsp dried basil
1 bay leaf
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder

1. Combine all ingredients in pot and bring to boil. Cover pot and reduce to a simmer for about 20-30 mins.
2. Remove bay leaf and pour into blender. Blend soup until smooth (30 seconds on liquefy). Pour and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment