Friday, May 20, 2011

Chocolate Chip Cookies!

So, I really enjoy baking cookies. I especially love making all the traditional cookies that my mom would bake around Christmas time. In fact, this past Christmas was the first year I was not living at home on school breaks and so I needed to jot down every cookie recipe so I could make it a tradition in our own family! Well, my Christmas cookies are tried and true. They come out great every time without fail. My chocolate chip cookies (the most basic of recipes) always turn out flat! Since Rex was working late (he came home at 8:30!), I decided I would make him a batch of chocolate chip cookies for when he arrived home. Well, as usual they came out pretty flat. The taste is great, but I want great taste AND great consistency. So, with a quick google search I found a remedy to my problem. Apparently if your dough is refrigerated, the cookie will not spread as fast on the cookie sheet while baking causing it to be puffier. So for years of messing up the most basic of recipes, I have hopefully found a cure to my chocolate chip cookie flaw. Yay! I may have to make another batch next week, but for proof of my failed work, here are my flat cookies before and after.


I'm a cram and jam type baker. I can't let 2 cookies be wasted or make another cookie sheet for a measly 2 cookies!

Looking like pancakes :( Well, next time refrigerate the dough!

Classic Nestle Tollhouse Recipe:

*making your own brown sugar makes cookies taste that much better! It's easy just add 1 tbsp molasses (2 tbsp if you need dark brown sugar) to 1 cup white sugar and mix with a fork until well combined. Be sure to note that when baking you need to remove 1 tbsp of liquid to compensate for the molasses being added (I usually just reduce the butter in the recipe).

INGREDIENTS
2 1/4 c all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1/2 c butter
1/2 c shortening
3/4 c sugar
3/4 c packed brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 lg eggs
1 (12 oz) pkg semi-sweet morsels
1 c chopped nuts (optional)

DIRECTIONS:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Combine flour, baking soda and salt in small bowl. Beat butter, shortening, granulated sugar, brown sugar and vanilla extract in large mixer bowl until creamy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Stir in morsels and nuts. Drop by rounded tablespoon onto ungreased baking sheets.
3. Bake for 9 to 11 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment