Thursday, May 5, 2011

Mini-Meatloaves

Last night was another warm night for us, so what better way to commemorate the beginning of summer than to bake in my oven for another 45 minutes! Not exactly the best idea, but I managed w/ my trusty helper the box fan :)






 Last night upon several recommendations from all-recipes, I attempted the mini-meatloaves recipe. I loved the sauce that went over the top. It was sweet, but not overpowering as had been the case in meatloaves past. I was not as fond as the meat mixture. I admit that this was likely my fault. I used my version of "quick cooking oats", which is the all-too-amazing Coaches Oats from Costco. If you are a fan of oatmeal, that bag is the real deal. It tastes like steel-cut oats, but it's microwaveable (score!). Unfortunately, the taste was too rich for my meatloaf and made the loaf taste more "oatey" than I wanted. All in all it was a pretty decent recipe and I think I'll have to go buy the cheap oats next time I make it. I also think more cheese would be better as well, but I think I can say that about any recipe calling for cheese :) Mmmm....cheese! I do recommend the recipe, but don't do as I did and use the expensive oats, it tastes too authentic :)


Before
After





To avoid taking credit for preparing a recipe that someone else worked hard to create, I will share the link from which I obtained the recipe: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Mini-Meatloaves/Detail.aspx


INGREDIENTS

  • 1 egg
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
  • 1/2 cup quick cooking oats
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 pound ground beef
  • 2/3 cup ketchup
  • 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons prepared mustard

DIRECTIONS
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  2. In a large bowl, combine the egg, milk, cheese, oats and salt. Add the ground beef, mixing well, and form this mixture into eight miniature meatloaves. Place these in a lightly greased 9x13 inch baking dish.
  3. In a separate small bowl, combine the ketchup, brown sugar and mustard. Stir thoroughly and spread over each meatloaf.
  4. Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 45 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment