Monday, May 2, 2011

Biscottis- Tea and Coffee's Loyal Friend

So for anyone that knows anything about me, they know I have a deep love and appreciation for tea. Iced or hot, it all tastes delicious to me. I am primarily a black tea drinker (Stash teas Earl Grey Double Bergamott = yums for the tums!). So it is only fitting that with my love of tea, I really love cookies and cakes I can dip in tea. My all-time favorite would have to be Girl Scout Trefoils dipped :) but that would do a number on anyone's waistline, so I tend to stand clear of those polite girls in vests pushing those yummy cookies on me. Besides Trefoils, I also enjoy biscottis and scones. I think to those who do not appreciate tea or a classic cup of joe, the concept of a biscotti and scone is foreign. An extra hard cookie that isn't particularly sweet. That wouldn't sound tasty to anyone! But for those that do have caffeine addiction, I mean enjoy hot beverages, a biscotti is a welcome treat. I attempted (and I believe successfully so) to create this yummy treat for my morning, afternoon, and evening tea. Did I mention I really love tea?

INGREDIENTS:
2.5 tbsp butter
1/3 c sugar
1 egg
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/8 tsp almond extract
1 tsp fresh orange zest
1 c all-purpose flour
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 c semisweet chocolate chips
1/4 c almond pieces (optional)

DIRECTIONS:
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease and flour one large baking sheet.

2. In a mixing bowl, combine butter and sugar whisking until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, vanilla, almond extract, and orange zest. Combine flour, baking powder, nutmeg, and salt. Stir into the creamed mixture until just blended. If desired, add almond pieces and mix. Divide dough into two, equal pieces. Form into long flat loaves about 1/2 inch tall and 12 inches long. Place the loaves on the baking sheet.


All the ingredients for Biscotti success. And shamefully, no I do not own a zester :(



In the oven. Looking appetizing right? j/k


3. Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes, or until light golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes.


4. Using a serrated knife, cut diagonally into slices about 1/2 inch thick. Lay flat on baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes turning over once. Transfer biscotti to wire rack for cooling.

5. Place chocolate chips in metal bowl over bowling water (creating a double boiler) and melt chocolate. Using a spatula, spread chocolate over biscotti in desired pattern or area. Let biscotti cool to room temperature and store in air tight container.


The final product! Perfect tea or coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment