Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Curry Beef

Although we live an apartment with very inadequate storage, I feel as though I am a little spoiled with all the kitchen gadgets I get to use on a regular basis. Besides my trusty Wok (which only fits under our sink...lol :) I also love our rice steamer. I love just putting it in there and never having to check it. I know once the light turns to "keep warm" it's done and I won't burn or overcook the rice. My two favorite kitchen gadgets combined can make a mean stir-fry.

I realize that this recipe is not for everyone. It isn't the kind of spicy that is hot, but it does contain quite a bit of curry seasoning which some people really dislike. Rex and I, however, love curry seasoning :) We also love stir-fry. It is one of those meals you can usually make in under 30 minutes that tastes great and makes good leftovers. In fact, since we love stir-fry so much I often have frozen chicken and beef sirloin on hand so that I can make a stir-fry whenever my cooking mood is low, but I still want something yummy. One of these days I'll have to write a list of the things I always have on hand in my pantry/freezer. So many last-minute meals are used with those ingredients. Anyways, Curry Beef is such a great recipe and it is one of those staples in our dinner menu. I probably make it once every 2-3 months (which is a lot for our dinner rotations!).

Enjoy!

INGREDIENTS
Stir-fry
1 tbsp cornstarch
1 tbsp soy sauce (I used reduced-sodium)
6 tbsp cold water, divided
2 tbsp olive oil
1 lb beef sirloin cut into strips
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/8 tsp ground ginger
1 sm onion cut into wedges
1 c sliced celery
1 bell pepper cut into 1-in pieces

Sauce
1 tbsp cornstarch
1/2 c cold water
3 tbsp ketchup
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp curry powder

Served over rice

DIRECTIONS
1. In a bowl, combine cornstarch, soy sauce, 2 tbsp water, and 1 tbsp oil until smooth; add beef and toss to coat.
2. In a Wok, stir-fry beef, garlic, and ginger in remaining oil until meat is no longer pink (4-5 minutes on high heat). Remove meat with slotted spoon and keep warm. Add onion, celery, green pepper, and remaining water to Wok. Cover and cook for 2 minutes. Add beef again.
3. For sauce, combine the cornstarch, water, ketchup, soy sauce, and curry until smooth; add to the skillet. Bring to a boil (1-2 mins). Stir and serve over rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment