Friday, June 3, 2011

Chicken and Biscuits

When Rex and I first got married, I knew that I wanted to make him meals virtually every night. I knew I could cook decent meals, but I was overwhelmed that I was responsible for creating meals 6 nights a week. It was also intimidating knowing that I would be cooking for someone else. I got through school making a couple of good meals, but for those who knew me well my diet was awful throughout college. Each week consisted of how to eat on a college budget. I would eat oatmeal for breakfast, noodles and marinara sauce 3-4 times a week. I ate frozen waffles whenever I needed a snack, and brussel sprouts for lunches when I felt like a treat. A treat to me was spending over $1.50 for lunch (lol!). Seriously, I spent something like $80/month on food for myself. Imagine my surprise when cooking for two and cooking good meals cost more than that per week :) Thank goodness college is over and I have a wonderful husband who desires me to explore my talents in the kitchen!


With that said, I came across this recipe one of our first weeks of marriage and knew I had to use it since it used cheap ingredients and it looked easy for someone who was still overwhelmed with cooking everyday. Time flies! In a little over a year, I feel much more confident in the kitchen and I love to meal plan. This meal used leftover chicken I had frozen to cut down on cook time.


Adapted from Allrecipes.com


INGREDIENTS
1 can condensed cream of chicken soup
3/4 c sour cream, divided
2 c cooked chicken, chopped
1 (16 oz) pkg frozen mixed veggies, thawed
1 c shredded Cheddar cheese
2 c all-purpose baking mix*
3 tbsp milk


*Bisquik or the following recipe will suffice for all purpose baking mix
6 cups all purpose flour
3 tablespoons baking powder
1 tablespoon salt
1 1/4 cups vegetable shortening (butter-flavored or plain)

  1. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
  2. Cut in shortening with pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse corn meal. Store in a container with tight-fitting lid. Will keep for up to 2 months
DIRECTIONS:
1. Heat oven to 375 degrees F
2. Mix soup and 1/2 c sour cream in 8-inch baking dish. Stir in chicken, vegetables, and cheese.
3. Mix baking mix, remaining sour cream and milk until stiff dough forms.
4. Spoon into 6 mounds over chicken mixture. Bake 35 minutes or until biscuits are golden brown and chicken mixture is hot and bubbly.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds delish AND simple! I'm going to have to try this one. :)

    ReplyDelete