Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Szechwan Chicken over rice

This is another spicy recipe! Since keeping this blog I have come to the realization of many things. It's funny how obvious things can be, yet you do not realize them until you write them down and see the pattern!

1. Life is busy. It doesn't matter how many recipes I make in a week, I will only find time to blog 1-3/week. I thought it was just specific circumstances that made me blog less and less, but alas that is not the case. Life doesn't slow down :)
2. Rex and I eat a lot of spicy food, which probably isn't the most universal foods I can blog about, but this is really what I cook and eat on a weekly basis.
3. I use my Wok a lot.
4. I am horrible at taking pictures (not exactly a new revelation!)

Anyways, our family has been experiencing a season of change. Since getting our puppy, we have been house-training him, dealing with the summer heat, staying involved in church, and making time to see each of our families. Well amidst all these changes, we are also moving soon. This means I need to start packing :)

Fortunately, busyness and the heat haven't prevented me from being able to cook! Those are usually 2 words that equate to not cooking, but I've made it a priority to cook and so by God's grace we have been still eating home-cooking. This has caused me, however, to focus on cooking quick meals that don't require the oven. One such meal is a family favorite. We probably eat it once every 4-6 weeks :) It's Szechwan Chicken! It cooks in about 20 minutes and is a full meal once added over rice.

INGREDIENTS
4 tbsp water
2 tbps ketchup
1 tbsp soy sauce
2 tsp cornstarch
1 tsp honey
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1 tbsp veggie oil
1/4 c green onions, sliced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1.5 lbs chicken, diced

DIRECTIONS:
1. In a bowl, stir water, ketchup, soy sauce, cornstarch, honey, cayenne, and ginger. Set aside.
2. Fry diced chicken in Wok or large skillet in oil over high heat. Keep stirring chicken as it fries. Chicken should be white all over (6-8 mins).
3. Add green onions and garlic to chicken in Wok and cook another minute.
4. Stir in sauce and toss to coat. Allow sauce to bubble before removing from heat. Serve over warm rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment