Thursday, July 14, 2011

Chicken Salad Sandwich




On days I know I am going to be busy, I try to prep dinner as best as I can beforehand. Sometimes that is merely cutting the meat and veggies, or sometimes it's making a sauce. This was a great recipe to try on a busy day. The whole recipe took 10 minutes to put together once my chicken had cooked. Easy! This particular day, I was inspired by the super low-fat mayonnaise I had recently found at Winco. I usually buy lite mayo (50 calories/tbsp) which is 1/2 the calories of regular mayo. I happened to stumble upon a product called "Smart Beat" when I was picking up groceries to make a potato salad. I thought I could at least try the Smart Beat next to my lite mayo and see if I could tell a difference. They were almost identical! The best part is that Smart Beat is only 10 calories/tbsp :) This caused me to think of all the great foods I loved that are slathered in mayo. Enter Chicken Salad Sandwiches.

I made this recipe super easy. I was in a no-fuss, no-heat kind of mood and decided it would be best to make my recipe even easier than normal. I actually boiled the chicken (gasp!). I know, boiled chicken is usually rubbery and gross, but seeing as I would need to shred the chicken and then slather it in mayo I knew we wouldn't know the difference. I threw the chicken in a pot and boiled it with water for 30-35 mins. I didn't even have to attend to the chicken. Like I said, easy :) Then I just used my chop-chop (aka http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-EHC650-2-Speed-Chopper/dp/B00005MF97/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1310682430&sr=8-1), and shredded my meat in it. I did the same with my celery and onion. I mixed all of it together in a large bowl with mayo, sour cream, tarragon, salt, and pepper. It was done :) I just needed to refridgerate it afterwards for 1-2 hours and then bring it out for dinner. So delicious and effortless.

INGREDIENTS
3/4 c sour cream
3/4 c mayo
1 c celery, finely chopped
1/4 c tarragon
5 c cooked chicken, cubed



DIRECTIONS
In a medium bowl, combine sour cream, mayo, celery, and tarragon; stir in chicken. Refrigerate 2-3 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment